Make your own free website on

County Final

County - Final
Sunday October 31st 2004
Semple Stadium, Thurles.

Kildangan 2 - 15

Moyne / Templetuohy 1 - 06


Match Reports / Press


Intermediate Hurling County Final

It's Kildangan's title

Kildangan 2 - 15

Moyne-Templetuohy 1 - 6


intermediate Final

Kildangan 2 - 15

Moyne-Templetuohy 1 - 6

David McDonnell at

Semple Stadium

For Kildangan the wait is over. After winning three North titles in the last four years, at last the blue and gold of Kildangan have captured the County Intermediate Hurling title after a powerful performance against a poor Moyne-Templetuohy side in the final played at Semple Stadium, Thurles last Saturday.

County success for the small parish has been a long time coming. Even some of the oldest enthusiasts of Tipperary hurling have trouble remembering a time when Kildangan plied their trade at senior level. Next season they will compete at the highest tier of Tipperary club hurling and going on basis of their performances throughout this year's intermediate championship and the youth they have throughout their squad, Kildangan won't be retuning to this grade anytime soon.
Last weekend they outmatched their opponents both on the scoreboard and in general play.
Admittedly, Moyne played poorly by the standards that have seen them win three Mid-Tipperary titles and although they missed many scorable chances, they still never looked like being triumphant in this tie. Indeed, with over a quarter of the match remaining, this match was finished as a contest.
In particular, the inside Kildangan attack proved to be dangerous throughout and once again, it was an occasion when Tipperary minor duel-star Darragh Egan showed his scoring prowess with a sizeable individual haul of 2-7.

Others to shine for Kildangan in this Intermediate hurling showpiece were Brian Kelly at midfield and Dan Hackett.
It took a while for this game to take shape as both sides took time to settle down in this fixture. In the opening 10 minutes of play the only score registered had come from a Darragh Egan free.
However, in the 11th minute Tommy Connors gathered and sent a diagonal ball from the right wing across to the left corner. The sliotar was met on its journey by Egan who passed his marker on the turn, before shooting quickly into the bottom left corner of the net for the first of his two goals.
During this spell, the Kildangan inside forwards were a thorn in the Moyne-Templetuohy defence and minutes later, Egan blocked a Tim Bergin clearance that found its way to Connors who opted for a point when maybe a goal looked a decent possibility. Seconds later Egan was again nearly through for goal when he caught a far-reaching Karl Hogan sideline 10 yards from goal, but the covering defenders shepherded him out over the end line.
It wasn't until the 16th minute that Moyne opened their account on the scoreboard when Edward Kelly pointed after the Mid-side had hit a few early wides from comfortable scoring positions.

Egan replied with a free when Hugh Flannery was hacked down by Colm Everard, which Flannery himself followed up with a point.
Indeed Kildangan were by far the dominant side throughout the first half. Liam Karl Flannery ran onto a puckout and hit over, after Kelly had pointed a free for the mid-champions. Egan pointed from placed ball after Hugh Flannery was again fouled, which was added to by his namesake Liam Karl two minutes from the break.
On the stroke of half time, a high free sent into the heart of the Kildangan defence saw Simon Everard gather, make space for himself and bury the sliotar slightly over the crossbar, when a goal seemed at his mercy.
It was to be the final score of the opening half that saw the North Tipperary side lead 1-7 to 0-4 at the break. It was a comfortable margin after 30 minutes hurling, but after a shaky start Moyne had come increasingly into this game in the closing stages of a half, where centre back Colm Everard was increasingly dominant for men in yellow and green.
In the opening five minutes of the second half, Moyne Templetuohy looked to be mounting a comeback but they spurned the two successive goal opportunities that presented themselves. First Hughie Coughlan failed to properly connect with a pulled shot from 14 yards that Hogan easily gathered and soon after Eddie Kelly shot wide from just right of the goalmouth. Egan added two points in the interim to further widen the gap.
In the ninth minute, Conor Hayes rounded his man before his attempted shot dropped short to the unmarked Egan who pulled first time to the net to leave ten points between the sides.

However, to Moyne Templetuohy's credit they responded instantly and Diarmuid Everard somehow managed to drop the ball into the net for a goal. However, in the following nine of minutes of play only two scores were registered, both for Kildangan, as the game began to lose its momentum.
With 12 minutes of time remaining, the Mid-champions showed the desperation of their plight by aiming for goal with two successive frees outside the Kildangan 21-yard line that were easily saved. Although the game was interrupted with a spate of substitutions in the final 10 minutes, the north champions continued to press ahead looking for scores. A Liam Karl Flannery point on the right wing was followed up with points from Egan Connors and substitute Enda Nolan.

In the end it was a comprehensive 12-point victory and Gerry Slattery had the honour of lifting the Jacksie Ryan Cup. Next year Kildangan will be a senior club but before that happens, they have a Munster Intermediate Club Championship to enjoy in the coming weeks.



D Egan (2-7,5f), L K Flannery (0-3), T Connors (0-2), H Flannery, C Hayes, E Nolan (0-1 each).


D Everard (1-0), E Kelly (0-2,2f), M Esmonde, S Everard, J Hassett, T Guilfoyle (0-1 each).


D Hogan; J Flannery, B Lawlor, M Ryan; K Hogan, D Hackett, G Slattery; B Kelly, S Maher; C McGrath, L K Flannery, T Connors; C Hayes, H Flannery, D Egan. Sub: J Minehan for McGrath (30 min), L Kelly for M Ryan (52 min), P Lynch for S Maher (57 min), E Nolan for L K Flannery (57 min).

Moyne Templetuohy:

J Leahy; C Ely, T Bergin, M Costigan; P Costigan, C Everard, D Bergin; H Coughlin, M Esmonde; S Everard, E Everard, S Everard; J Hassett, D Everard, E Kelly. Sub: L Everard for Esmonde (33 min), K Fogerty for Kelly (36 min), C Everard for S Everard (41 min), T Hassett for P Costigan (47 min), T Guilfoyle for K Fogerty (59 min).

Referee: Willie Barrett (Ardfinnan)




Cill An Daingin Abu
Last Updated

All images and content are copyright.