Make your own free website on

North Tipperary Under 12 B Hurling Final 2006

Second half goal helps Kildangan to title
Saturday August 19th 2006

" The Paper Shop "

North Tipperary Under 12 B
Hurling Final


Kildangan 1-8

Lorrha 0-4

By Liam Hogan at MacDonagh Park, Cloughjordan

Kildangan won their fourth North Tipp U-12 B Hurling title with a good seven point win over a game Lorrha side at MacDonagh Park, Cloughjordan on Sunday evening last.

Kildangan were pre match favourites after their earlier eighteen points win in the round three clash between the same sides.

This game was very different. Lorrha had the upper hand in the opening fifteen minutes and could have been further ahead before Kildangan came from two in arrears to stake a 0-5 to 0-4 led at the interval.

Kildangan took over early in the second half and five minutes into the half, Andrew Nihill found the net. Kildangan held their composure until the final whistle and finished deserving winners and ended a fifteen year gap since they last won the title.

But Lorrha played their part in what was an exciting game. They came back to draw level after 13 minutes after Neil Houlihan and Philip Hogan cancelled out, David Cawley's and John Horan's two openers.

With Aaron Hogan and Philip Hogan making inroads into the Kildangan defence lines, Lorrha went two ahead after good points by Neil Houlihan and Philip Hogan to put Lorrha two ahead.

Lorrha looked anything but underdogs and Kildangan needed strong backup with David Sweeney, William Connors and Jim Minehan making a number of clearances from their full backline.

Kildangan began their comeback following a free by Alan Flynn and a second point from play by his twin brother Paul to bring parity between the teams as the twenty minutes just up.

In added time, Tadgh Gallagher won a free after winning a first time clearance from wing back, Aishling Gleeson before earning a free close in. Alan Flynn added the resulting placed ball and the teams retired at the interval.

After the break, Kildangan made some positional switches where Matthew Harty went full forward and Tadgh Gallagher and Paul Flynn went to the half forward line with Alan Flynn manning the number eleven spot.

Meanwhile Lorrha keeper, Eoin McIntyre saved well from Oisin Hynes - now in at top of the left - but Tadgh Gallagher was through for a point soon after.

Then a free by Alan Flynn dropped near the Lorrha goalmouth and after the ball bobbed around, Andrew Nihill was on hand to blast to the net from sixteen metres.

Kildangan pushed on with Jack Loughnane and Tomas McLoughlin making many clearances in defence. Before long, Paul Flynn had extended his teams lead to six but Lorrha meanwhile steadied the ship as Colm Corcoran, Jamie Lewis, Brain Hogan, David Cleary and Aaron Hogan made a number of vital tackles and block downs.

As a result, Kildangan had to wait nine minutes for their next score, which came from their top scorer, Alan Flynn.

By then, the cup was well on its way to Puckane, Carrig and Ballycommon.

Player of the Match: Tom McLoughlin (Kildangan)

Scorers - Kildangan: Alan Flynn 0-4, 1 free, 1 65, Andrew Nihill 1-0, Paul Flynn 0-2, David Cawley, John Horan, Tadhg Gallagher 0-1 each.

Lorrha: Neil Houlihan 0-2, Philip Hogan 0-2, frees.

Kildangan: Brian McGahy, David Sweeney, Tom McLoughlin, Willie Connors, Aisling Gleeson, Jack Loughnane (Capt), Jim Minehan, Andrew Nihill, Matthew Harty, Oisin Hynes, Tadgh Gallagher, Alan Flynn, David Cawley, John Horan, Paul Flynn. Subs: John Hayes for O Hynes (41), Cathal Hayes for D Cawley.

Lorrha: Eoin McIntyre, Conor Duggan, Colm Corcoran, Brian Hogan, David Cleary, Jamie Lewis, Aaron Hogan, Michael Kennedy, Philip Hogan (Capt), Eoin Cleary, Josephine Lewis, Megan O'Meara, Leo Dolan, Neil Houlihan, Christopher Fogarty. Subs: Kate O'Meara, Muire Kennedy, Aoife O'Meara.

Referee: John Kissane (Nenagh Eire Og)

© Nenagh Guardian

Courtesy of The Nenagh Guardian.

Cill An Daingin Abu
Last Updated

All images and content are copyright.