Make your own free website on

Murphy Medal Winners

Chapter 10

After their Intermediate success in 1930 Killadangan-Kilbarron were promoted to the senior ranks the following year. 1931 was an inauspicious season but in 1932 they were official runners up in the championship. Newport had defeated them in the semi-final, but the other semi-finalists, Toomevara, failed to field ,so the North Board decided to play off between Killadangan-Kilbarron and Borrisokane for the runners-uo medals. Killadangan-Kilbarron won by 5-6 to 1-4.

The team's forward line was immensely strenghtened by the arrival of Martin Kennedy from Toomevara in November 1932. He had inherited a farm at Castlesheela and the county selectors were anxious that he leave Toomevara, who were about to be suspended for non-appearance in the 1931 final. Martin came to Killadangan with an established reputation: a county and interprovincial player and prolific goal-scorer who had already won numerous titles with Toomevara and two All-Ireland medals with Tipperary. he showed his prowess in his very first game for his new club by netting four goals against Kilruane.

Hopes of championship success were high in 1933, especially after the crushing defeat of Lorrha in the first round match. But in the encounter with Borrisokane, Danny GGleeson was sent to the line and they lost by two goals. Killadangan protests that Borrisokane's full-back, paul McKenna, was ilegal were overruled by the County Board and Borrisokane went on to win the divisional title.

If 1933 was adisappointing year, the following season's triumphs more than compensated for it. Killadangan began their run of success with a 7-1 to 1-1 victory over Toomevara in the final of the Murphy Medals Competition. A set of solid gold medals had been presented to the North Board by the Cork brewery of that name and played for during 1933 and 1934. Killadangan were not joined with Kilbarron for this competition because the rules stipulated that the team was to be drawn from one parish only. Admission to the final cost one schilling and the proceeds went to a borrisokane player, Jim O'Meara, who had been seriously injured in a match the previous October. But the Nenagh Guardian commented disapprovingly that "it was suprising the number of people whi tried to evade payment even though it was for such a worthy object.

The victorious team in the final was:

Jack Hoctor (Lisduff), Capt., Jack Kelly (Puckaun), Jack O'Grady (Ballyalla), Rody and Danny Gleeson(Peterfield), Mick Hanrahan (Monsea),Michael o'Meara (Urra), Bill O'Meara (Rockview),Paddy Collins "Drumcullen" ( Urra ), Bill Hayes (Loughourna), Joe and Jim Cleary (Killadangan), Dinny Dwan (Carney), Maurice Corboy (Parkboy), Martin Kennedy (Castlesheela).




Cill An Daingin Abu
Last Updated

All images and content are copyright.