Make your own free website on

Senior Champions 1938

Chapter 12

Senior Champions 1938

Killadangan, North Senior Champions, 1938

Back ( l to r ): Jack o'Grady, Bill Hayes, Paddy Morrissey, Joe Cleary, Johnnie Hogan, Jim Kileen, Tom Collins.
Middle : Danny Moloney, Jack Kelly, Joe Barry, Paddy Hogan, Matt Coen, Mick Hanrahan, Ned Gleeson, Mick Murphy.
Front : Mick Quirke, Danny Gleeson, Jack Hoctor, Martin Kennedy, Rody Gleeson, Christy Coen

( Photo courtesy of The Nenagh Guardian )

Kildangan ended their association with Kilbarron in 1935. The club reached the North final the following year and again in 1937, but were beaten on each occasion by Roscrea. Clashes between those two clubs was a prominent feature of the game during the decade 1933-43: they met in the North decider on no fewer than seven occasions and Roscea came out on top 4:3. But 1938 was Kildangan's year. They still had the nucleus of the 1930 and 1934 winning teams and some young blood had been added in the interval.

The 1938 championship campaign began with the annihilation of Eire Og, Nenagh, at Newtown on 1 May. The final score was not given in the local paper, perhaps out of deference to the sensibilities of the Nenagh boys! Kilruane MacDonagh went down by 7-4 to 1-3 in a game in which Kennedy scored five goals. But Newport at Nenagh Showgrounds on 17 July was a tougher proposition. Kildangan won by 5-6 to 2-8, what the Nenagh Guardian described as one of the best games of the season. Jim

Killeen's display at centre-back and the exciting mid-field tussles between the Gleeson brothers and the county player, Butler Coffey, were the talking point of the clash. Rody Gleeson that good mid-field man as the Nenagh Guardian described him was forced to retire with a broken finger and was replaced by Matt Coen. Rody missed the final as a result of the injury. However, local lore claims that he had a knife in his pocket on the big day, ready to cut off the plaster should he be needed to enter the fray.

The final at the Showgrounds, Nenagh, on 31 July 1938 was watched by 3,000 spectators. Kildangan's opponents were once again, Roscrea. The pitch was heavy after recent rain, but in a fast, hard-hitting game, Kildangan won comfortably enough by 7-2 to 3-4. Jim Killeen played a fine game despite an injury to his collarbone. Joe Barry was also injured and had to replaced by Joe Cleary. The Kildangan scorers in the final were Martin Kennedy, Mick Quirke, Paddy Hogan and Danny Gleeson.

Kildangan played with dash and vigour in their county semi-final tussle with Fethard and won by a goal. Mick Murphy who had recently come from Clare to Grace's of Ballyartella had an outstanding game at centre-forward. Christy Coen played well in goals, stoutly protected by Hoctor and Grady. But in the county final at Borrisoleigh on Sunday 24 September, Kildangan tumbled to the powerful Thurles Sarsfields. The final score of 7-7 to 2-2 rather flattered the winners and was not a true reflection of the general run of play, claimed the Nenagh Guardian on 1 October 1938. Although Jim Killeen and Rody Gleeson won the mid-field tussle, the Kildangan forwards were unable to penetrate the Thurles back trio of Lanigan, Cornally and Maher. Jack Hoctor and Danny Moloney both had fine games in the Kildangan defence.

Kildangan, 1938:

Christy Coen (Johnston), Jack O'Grady (Ballyalla), Jack Hoctor (Lisduff), Capt. Jack Kelly (Puckaun), Mick Hanrahan (Monsea), Danny Moloney (Crannagh), Johnny Hogan (Urra), Jim Killeen (Monsea), Rody Gleeson (Peterfield), Matt Coen (Johnstown), Mick Murphy (Ballyartella), Danny Gleeson (Peterfield), Paddy Hogan (Urra), Martin Kennedy (Castlesheela), Mick Quirke (Frolic), Joe Barry (Hogan's Pass), Paddy Morrissey (Prospect), Bill Hayes (Loughourna), Joe Cleary (Kildangan), Ned Gleeson (Ballydrennan), Tom Collins (Ballyartella).




Cill An Daingin Abu
Last Updated

All images and content are copyright.